Wednesday, May 13, 2009

This is it!

Hey friends - I'm glad you're here. This is going to be a big step that I want to share with all of you.

Please indulge the following: My life's pretty awesome. I have peace with God, I have a great girlfriend, I've got a loving family and some close friends. I made it through college, I've got a swell job and I've got everything I need to survive and be happy.

But I can't help feeling like something's missing.

I'm going to be 25 this year (!) and I'm entering the "what will the story of your life be" phase of existence. I feel like I've done some good things and I hope my life's made an impact in the world, but I think there's more out there that I'm supposed to do.

God's blessed me with a lot - and, very humbly do I make this statement, I believe He gave me great talent to write.

Unfortunately, writing is hard. Believe me, it is. It takes a lot of work and even more commitment. Those two aspects don't work well with the fact that I am incredibly lazy. Honestly, I have know idea how much talent I possess, because I've never made the commitment to find out.

Today, that changes.

There are two projects on my plate that, if they work out, could change my life forever. The first is the 2010 Disney / ABC Writing Fellowship. Every year, thousands of writers submit speculative scripts of television shows in production to ABC Talent Development. The kind folks there review submissions, then pick a fraction of those to interview in person. From those interviews, a select few are chosen to participate in the Fellowship - a $50,000 salary and a year of intense writing sessions, workshops and seminars in Los Angeles.

Do I have a shot at this? Hmmm....

I'm afraid I'd seem snooty or over-confident if I said I did. I feel like I'd be opening myself up to the naysayer, letting them get in a few "I told you so's" after the dust settles.

Saying that it's doubtful, however, is contrary to my innermost nature. I live a life dedicating myself completely to the projects I pursue. I think I have to believe I have a shot, or else I'm wasting my time.

I'll say it then - I've got a shot at this. Not just a hopeful, maybe kind of shot either. I can do this. I can win.

So here I go. I'm writing a spec script of Heroes. I've written the opening scene outline already.

I'll need input, proof-reading and fact-checking from my friends who watch Heroes. May 28th I'll host a reading of my outline at my home. I hope you can come.

Finally, why this blog? Aren't writers lone-wolves, hiding their work from everyone until its finished, until its perfect?

Maybe some writers are. I'm not. I think if I'm going to do this, I'm going to be a social writer. I'm going to let my friends, who read, watch, play, listen and write good stuff themselves, take part in my writing, if they want. All on a volunteer basis - nobody likes the aspiring writer guy who tries to force his stuff on you.

Becky probably understands that... (yes, I'm making fun of myself).

Anyhoo, here's the first leg of this journey. Come with me if you want. This project will take about two months, and then I'll be off to a second project. I'll reveal more details on that one when the time comes.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment